Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The South and The North, Part 2


Here are more of my observations:

  • Scarves aren't just a fashion accessory here.
  • I haven't seen a single roach since I've been here!!!!!!
  • I'm not seeing many people wearing camouflage, okay, I don't think I've seen anybody wearing it.
  • The water is so beautiful (no swampy, muddy water here).
  • Chicagoians aren't as tough as I thought when it comes to the cold weather. They had sweaters and coats when it was in the 70s. Maybe I'm just used to seeing guys (such as my brother-in-law) wear shorts when it's in the 30s in LA.
  • I've seen hail a few times in the 2 1/2 months that I've been here.
  • I now have this nice little white gadget on my windshield. 
  • Not a lot of pick-up trucks around here. 
  • I had to google what a sump-pump is.
  • There's a lot of diverse people groups here, so many different languages heard when walking on the street in the city (or even in Target).
  • Fall is absolutely beautiful here; the colors keep getting more vibrant. All I can think about is the song "Jesus, You Sure Know How to Color". I heard spring isn't so pretty here. I'll have to wait and see!
  • I can buy a gallon of milk here for $1.89!!
  • I don't think I've seen a single outdoor dog kennel.
  • In this house, there are AC/heater vents on the floor, lower wall and just below the ceiling. I think that's normal here.
  • Y'all = Yous Guys
  • I hope they decorate for Christmas as much as they do for Halloween.
  • My two advisors suggested investing in a pair of Uggs. I have never heard of the brand before (keep in mind that I don't get out much).
  • I think Illinois drivers are better than Louisiana drivers.
  • If jambalaya is on the menu at a restaurant here, DON"T ORDER IT!
  • I'm trying to get used to store-bought sausage…. and it's not even Richard's or Savoie's. I like opening my freezer and being able to smell homemade smoked sausage.
  • My school kids are still picking up the Chicago accent. We were talking about stars the other day and Gracie's word for "star" was almost "stire". Really?!? It's pretty funny though because she had such a southern accent.
  • I used to hate driving in Lafayette because of the busyness. I now look forward to the smallness of it.
  • The "fun in the snow" section at target is getting me so excited!
  • I think I said this on my last post but as a whole, people are very friendly here, maybe even more friendly than Louisiana people. People start conversations in a grocery store line. The first question is always asking where I'm from! :) 



2 comments:

  1. What is the white gadget on the windshield??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An ipass (to pay tolls)… not sure who this is!

      Delete